- Furniture with drawers can be used for storage of pictures, knick-knacks, china, silverware, or other small items. Wrap these items in paper, tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
- Shovels, rakes, and hoes can be stored together in an empty trash can. Or long-handled tools can be strapped together with plastic wrap.
- Stack empty waste cans inside each other.
- Store couches on end to save floor space.
- Position a mattress on its side so it will remain upright preventing it from bending out of shape.
- Disassemble tables to save space; band legs together with plastic wrap and tape to the underside of table.
Do not store anything combustible such as thinner, paint, gasoline, or solvent.
Never store food items in your unit.
Do not cover furniture in plastic. Use sheets or blankets as dust covers.
Apply a heavy coat of furniture polish or wax to wood items prior to storage.
Wipe all metal objects with an oily cloth to prevent rust.
Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
Leave a walkway to the rear of the space and between stored items to allow for air circulation.
Pack to the ceiling stacking lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
Place frequently used items near the front & place valuables in the rear.